The Golden Age of Travel was a time, not long ago, when travel was considered a luxury. When where we went held a certain cachet, how we got there was the distinction and with whom we traveled was status. It was like being in North by Northwest with Cary Grant – steaks on the train and cocktails on the plane. The journey was almost more important than the destination. Over time that has changed, but the South Dakota Tourism team recently brought it back for an evening at the South Dakota's Gov's Conference back in January.
The nostalgia for a simpler time was never more prevalent for 'Captain Ted' than while hanging out in Pierre at the event with the rest of my MMGY Flight Crew. You see, the social media generation is simplifying their dialogue and communication by speaking in hashtags. A hashtag is a word or phrase prefixed with the '#' symbol and is used to consolidate a thought or message. For example, #ThisblogentrysucksTed
So even though I was dressed ironically as a pilot, I actually felt grounded and a little lost. #gettingolder But I vowed to keep up. #FakedLikeIKnewWhatTheyWereSaying Because if you're born without wings you shouldn't do anything to keep them from growing. #DontBeAWuss #LeaveBeforeLastCall
The SD Tourism industry is a passionate and fun one, with no fear of flying well into the wee hours of the morning. #RamkotaBarNeedsWindows And with the only two emotions on a plane being boredom or terror, our SD flight team was able to avoid both by blending the Golden Age with the Social Times. #PutAllOfThisOnOrbitzTab
The Top 5 Things Ted Learned About Travel On This Trip:
1. Dressing like pilots and stewardesses can earn a lot of interesting comments. #CanIGetEarlyBoarding #ACockpitRideWithTurbulence #WannaJoinTheMileHighClub?
2. It actually takes effort to run up a tab of more than $200 at the Ramkota Lobby Bar – and they serve free tuna fish sandwiches. #DollarDraws #OldSchool #FriedCheese #Pepto
3. The climactic ending of North by Northwest takes place on top of Mount Rushmore (Video) #EvaMarieSaintWasHotDontJudge
4. The Cattleman's Steakhouse serves a piece of meat the size of a manhole cover. #ThinkingOfBeingAVegitarianNow #LaxativeDessertNeeded
5. Local patrons get confused when they see 15 flight attendants in their bar. #DoWeEvenHaveAnAirport? #AmIDead? #BobbyGetOverHereUGottaSeeThis$%*#
Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges of the Golden Days of Travel. Yes, there was more focus on the journey than the destination and that was awesome, but we're quick to forget the progress we've made. #SmokingFlights #AffordableLuxury We'll always romance the past and examine the future, but remember, nostalgia isn't what it used to be. #TwitterIsAPainInTheAss
"You look lost."- Ramkota Hotel staff member
"I'm looking for my coworkers. They're all dressed like flight attendants and making paper airplanes." - Me
"Hell, I can do that. You guys hiring?" - Ramkota staff member
Additional Photos From This Journey Can Be Found By Clicking Here FlickrTravelWithTed